NATURAL CACAO POWDER FOR BAKING
Cacao has been consumed for its superfood healthy properties for generations in Latin American cultures.
FOOD THOUGHTS NATURAL CACAO POWDER IS A HEALTHIER BAKING ALTERNATIVE
Food Thoughts Natural Cacao Powder is non alkalised and simply prepared naturally so it maintains much higher levels of flavanols, antioxidants, fibre and protein than heavily alkalised or Dutch processed cocoa powders. This superfood contains a variety of healthy properties; it is one of the richest sources of:
Flavanols that help to maintain the elasticity of blood vessels which will support overall blood circulation and promote cardio vascular health.
Magnesium helps maintain normal muscle and nerve function, it keeps your heart beating and helps build a healthy immune system.
Antioxidants help neutralize the damaging effects of free radicals in the body, known to be effective in warding off aging- related diseases.
Iron helps your body to make haemoglobin which is the protein found in red blood cells that carries oxygen around your body and gives blood its red colour. It will help with daily energy levels, mental clarity and the ability to focus.
Fibre is an important part of healthy balanced diet and many people do not get enough in their daily diet. It can help prevent heart disease and diabetes and also improves digestive health.
Many bigger brands need to use alkali with the Dutching process to darken the cocoa and standardise the taste, as often it is sourced from many different places. Unfortunately the phyto nutrients, particularly polyphenol and flavanols are modified or destroyed at alkaline pH by the Dutching processing, resulting in up to 80% less flavanols**
CAN CACAO BE RAW?
All cacao beans need to be roasted at a temperature sufficient to remove bacteria from the fermentation process and bring out the chocolate flavour so technically speaking there should be no such thing as ‘raw’ cacao powder. Food Thoughts Natural Cacao Powder is roasted very lightly over a long period of time and not alkalised at all to ensure it maintains the essential nutrients.
ADVANTAGES OF NATURAL CACAO POWDER
Natural Cacao Powder
- Non processed
- 100% Pure
- High in Nutrients (Iron, Mg)
- High flavanol levels
- Fibre & Protein maintained http://danettemay.com/cacao-vs-cocoa/
Heavily Alkalised Cocoa
- Processed with Alkali (Dutching)
- Potassium Carbonate biproduct
- Nutrients reduced
- Flavanol levels reduced
- Fibre & Protein levels reduced
THOUGHTFULLY SOURCED FROM PRONATEC
Food Thoughts Natural Cacao is sourced from PRONATEC, a professional expert in Organic products and Fairtrade.
Forty years of experience in Organic Foods and a business driven by passion and a pioneering spirit means PRONATEC offers the best organic raw materials on the market today.
Fair conduct towards customers, producers, business partners, society and the environment form the backbone of the PRONATEC commitment to offering the finest organic raw materials.
PRONATEC AIM TO ACHIEVE THE FOLLOWING OBJECTIVES:
- Maintain a sustainable, healthy business
- Promote fair and respectful behavior towards the environment, business partners and society
- Set up sustainable projects in developing countries
- Produce high-quality raw materials
- Achieve transparency in all stages of the trading process
- Establish long-term business relationships
- Support local social structures
FOR OVER 40 YEARS PRONATEC HAS BEEN THE ORGANIC AND FAIRTRADE PIONEER
- Foundation of PRONATEC
- Production of the world’s first whole cane sugar – SUCANAT
- Introduction of the first chocolate sweetened only with whole cane sugar
- Introduction of the world’s first organic and Fairtrade certified chocolate, Swiss made
- PRONATEC launched the YACAO project in the Yamasá region (40 km north of Santo Domingo) with local partners.The aim of the project is to produce high-quality cocoa for export, while providing poor smallholders with an income. A unique processing centre was built for this purpose. At the centre, cocoa beans are fermented, dried, calibrated, cleaned and stored. The beans used in the Yacao project come from smallholders affiliated to the Fundación Dominicana de Productores Orgánicos (FUNDOPO), an organization which is Fair-Trade certified.
Food Thoughts originally pioneered Fairtrade Cocoa with Oxfam in 1989. Today the finest Organic Cocoa Beans are grown on small family farms in the Dominican Republic for Accredited Fairtrade Co operatives who support community development and environmental protection programmes.
Food Thoughts Cocoa is from The Dominican Republic , the second poorest country in the Caribbean after Haiti. 42% of its population of 9.6 million live below the poverty line (UNDP 2004) and 16% live in extreme poverty. Read more…